MacinTech Users Group maintains a series of subscription email lists. The lists shown on this page are available to MacinTech members and non-members alike.
To learn how to subscribe and to post message to a list, see the Notes section below. You must be a subscriber of a list to post to that list. You must post from the same email address you used to join the list.
MacinTech is using new software to manage these mailing lists. Some of the features of this software are:
- Each subscriber can manage her own account.
- Searchable archives of messages are available for problem solutions.
- More automatic maintenance of accounts; if a user bounces a number of times, they are suspended from the specific list.
The most important point is that you will manage your own account, so remember the email account you are using for the list, and remember your password.
By joining any of these lists, you agree to follow all of the rules. The rules are subject to change. The rules are found in the Rules section, following the Notes.
Subscribe to any of the lists by filling out the corresponding form. You will be sent email requesting confirmation, to prevent others from gratuitously subscribing you. This is a private list, which means that the list of members is not available to non-members.
Available Email Lists:
MacinTech -- This email list is for all people who want to discuss topics pertaining to the MacinTech Users Group, and Macintosh computers. List topics include announcements, computer items for sale, general discussion, and requests for help. (Selling items and advertising services is for MacinTech members only)
To join the MacinTech list:
To search the archive of prior postings to the MacinTech list, click here:
Volunteers -- This email list is for people who wish to know more about volunteer positions with MacinTech Users Group. Calls for volunteers, duties of specific positions, and questions about MacinTech needs are all fielded in this list. Do not post any other types of messages to this list.
To join the Volunteers list:
To search the archive of prior postings to the Volunteers list, click here:
Soon after submitting your email address, you will receive a confirmation message in your email asking you to confirm the subscription. This is a precaution that prevents those not wishing to be subscribed from being subscribed. You will be asked to return the confirmation within 24 hours. To do so, just press the reply button in your email application, and a new email will be generated that is addressed to the correct location with a subject line containing the subscription request and a special code that was sent to you. Send this email and you will then receive a message indicating that you are now subscribed to the MacinTech email list. Keep this message for the additional information it contains.
When you are subscribed to this list, you can send a message all other subscribers will receive. To send an email to all subscribers of one of the lists, address the list to the name of the list at macintechlists.org. For example, to send a message to the Volunteers list, address your email to email@example.com.
If you have problems posting a message to a list, check your email address. You may have signed up below as "firstname.lastname@example.org", but the list sees your mail coming from "email@example.com". It is important to know the address used to actually send out your emails, and use that address to subscribe.
Rules of the Road
In joining any of these lists, MacinTech members and non-members agree to follow all rules outlined on this page. The rules are subject to updates without notice. The basic rules are:
- No "flame wars" will be tolerated.
- All personal conversations must be held off the list. Conversations held on the list must be of benefit to list members.
- Messages may not contain images or other file attachments.
- Messages must be in text only -- do not send HTML formatted email.
- When asking a computer question, be sure to tell everyone which Mac you are using and which version of the Mac OS.
- DO NOT reply with an entire copy of a previous message. Four or five lines from a previous message should be the maximum.
- Use complete sentences and be sure to define terms others may not understand. The purpose of this list is to help others learn and solve problems.
- Messages must pertain to computers.
- MacinTech members only may post messages selling items or advertising services. All others must request permission from the list moderator(s).
- When you stop using an old email address, use the links below to unsubscribe from each list!
Accounts that bounce too many messages in a given period of time are automatically suspended by the email list software. People who do not follow the rules are subject to suspension.